I am offering a small finder's fee to the first person who can identify a specialized activist, in the USA, working full-time to support reason as a specialized subject. Identify means providing the activist's name and a link to him. Support means explicit, sustained advocacy as a career path. Reason means the human faculty that integrates sense-perceptions into concepts, creates principles, forms generalizations, develops theories, and so forth—all following logic as the art of noncontradictory identification of the facts of reality.
(An example of a specialized activist is Alex Epstein of Center for Industrial Progress. For the distinction between specialized and general activism: http://aristotleadventure.blogspot.com/2012/12/specialized-vs-general-activismwhich-is.html)
The specialized activist for reason would be taking steps such as:
- Collecting a flood of examples of the use of reason, from history and today.
- Showcasing the tools of reason: induction, deduction, reduction, analysis, and so forth.
- Defining reason at various lengths, for a variety of audiences.
- Showing the benefits of reason in our world today.
- Contrasting reason with mysticism—examples of it, its nature, its many forms, and its consequences in history and in life today.
The specialized activist for reason would engage in various tasks such as:
- Writing weblog posts.
- Producing videotapes or podcasts.
- Welcoming interviews on radio and television.
- Engaging debaters on university campuses and elsewhere.
- Writing magazine articles.
- Lecturing on reason in general or specific facets of reason and mysticism.
- Conducting seminars.
- Teaching classes.
- Writing books.
If you know of such a person (or organization), please comment below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Author of The Power and the Glory: They Key Ideas and Crusading Lives of Eight Debaters of Reason vs. Faith, described at http://www.reasonversusmysticism.com/
P. S. — If you are aware of no such person but you think there should be a full-time activist for reason and you would be willing to support him, please tell me. Perhaps we can collaborate, if not immediately, then perhaps in the future. My resources are small, but I am prepared to donate $2000/year to that person to support his work.
In the movement that supports a philosophy of reason, the time has come for someone to speak for reason: full-time, radically, and at length.